Are you a vegan or vegetarian or just looking for a healthy treat? Then you will love the vegan meal prep recipe we have for you today—A macrobiotic bowl! This awesome medley of quinoa, corn, broccoli florets, chickpeas, and collard greens comes together with the flavors of tahini and shallot. This recipe is not only delicious but absolutely nutritious as well! Plus, we love this vegan meal prep recipe because it comes together pretty quickly at right around 30 minutes (including prep and cook time)!
This vegan Macrobiotic Bowl features nutty quinoa, nourishing greens, protein-rich chickpeas, and a savory tahini sauce. This easy to make recipe feature fresh summer corn is sure to keep you cool on those hot summer days.
How long will this Macrobiotic Bowl last for?
Cooked quinoa and collard greens both last quite a while when stored properly—7 whole days! But, corn and broccoli generally expire within 5 days of refrigeration, So we’d say this vegan meal prep recipe has an approximately 5-day shelf life!
Can this Macrobiotic Bowl be frozen?
Yes, for sure! While cooked corn, broccoli, and collard greens will generally keep in the freezer for 10-12 months, the one caveat is the quinoa, which will most likely only last at top quality for 1-2 months. So if you do choose to freeze this Macrobiotic Bowl, just make sure you’re consuming it within a couple of months from when you originally cooked and froze it!
How do you make this Macrobiotic Bowl?
As we mentioned earlier in the article, this vegan meal prep recipe is awesome because it comes together easily and efficiently! Begin the process by bringing a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Throw in the veggies, while cooking the quinoa in a separate pot. Now it’s time to cook up the flavors in this dish, so heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, and add in the finely diced shallot. Add in the rest of the ingredients to the stir fry. Remove the corn kernels from the cob using a sharp knife, and then build your bowl.
How to portion this Macrobiotic Bowl?
Naturally, this is a matter of personal preference, but we liked this nutritious vegan dish best served in a single compartment meal prep container, dividing it so there was individual space for each of the four main elements featured in the recipe! If you’re new and need some further info about what kind of containers best suit your needs, we suggest checking out MPOF’s very own Ultimate Guide to Meal Prep Containers!
More vegan meal prep recipes:
We love our vegan and vegetarian readers at Meal Prep On Fleek, so we have quite an assortment of recipes suited to your dietary preferences! For next week, consider our
- Vegan Shakshuka Meal Prep
- Try these 10-Minute Raw Vegan Brownies for a sweet treat!
- Maple Roasted Kabocha Squash & Quinoa Salad
- Cauliflower Steak With Quinoa & Tahini Meal Prep
Other tips for making this Macrobiotic Bowl:
- Be sure to rinse your quinoa in a mesh strainer, even if it’s been pre-rinsed—Quinoa has a natural coating on it called saponin that gives it a bitter taste if not first washed off.
- If you have a rice cooker, you can cook quinoa in it as well.
Macrobiotic Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Quinoa, uncooked
- 3 Cups Corn (3-4 Ears)
- 2½ Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Shallot, finely diced
- 2½ Cups Collard Greens, cut into ¼” ribbons, packed
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Cooked Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ Cup Tahini
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups Corn from 3-4 ears
- 2.5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs shallots finely diced
- 2.5 cups collard greens cut into 1/4 inch ribbons
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned) rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 2 tbsp Water
- Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Meanwhile, cook quinoa as per the package directions.
- When the large pot of water begins to boil, add in the corn cobs. After 5 minutes, add the broccoli florets, and cook 3 minutes longer, until crisp/tender and vibrant green. Remove the corn, and place on a cutting board to cool, and then drain the broccoli in a colander, and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, and add in the finely diced shallot. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute, then add in the collard greens, stirring until slightly wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the chickpeas and ¼ teaspoon salt, and stir until heated through about 2 additional minutes.
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob using a sharp knife, and then build your bowl. Divide among four containers the corn, quinoa, broccoli, and collard green mixture. In a small bowl, mix the tahini and soy sauce, thinning out with the water as desired. Equally, drizzle on top of each bowl. Store, serve, and enjoy!