How to Make Mushroom Carnitas
Really good vegan Mexican cuisine options are hard to come by, aren't they? Here at MPOF, we understand the challenges of having versatile vegan meal prep recipes. That's why we're so excited to tell you about our Mushroom Carnitas recipe!
Mushrooms are one of the best options for vegans because they're hearty and delicious and they're packed with nutrients. Mushrooms have plenty of B vitamins, fiber, manganese, and antioxidants. They're also fat-free. Mushroom Carnitas vegan meal prep recipe is the perfect munch for vegans on-the-go.
Preparation and cook time is only 35 minutes and the dish is served in a bowl. The star of Mushroom Carnitas is the portobello mushroom, but the dish includes other nutritious and delicious foods like avocado, black beans, corn, and of course vegan cheese! Who says you can't enjoy vegan restaurant-style cuisine at home? We certainly don't!
Are you ready to make vegan Mushroom Carnitas? Nom, nom, nom...
Other tips for making Mushroom Carnitas:
Some tips for the best Mushroom Carnitas:
- Only buy fresh mushrooms, especially if you plan on freezing them. Avoid mushrooms that are shriveled, moldy, have bad spots, darkened, or smell bad.
- Brush-wash your mushrooms with cold water instead of running cold water over them. Mushrooms are a high-water content food, so adding more water to them dilutes flavor and nutrients. And over watered mushrooms don't last as long in the refrigerator or freezer.
- If you plan on freezing Mushroom Carnitas, flash-freeze your mushrooms before storing them in the freezer for months at a time.
- Eliminate as much air as possible when storing. If you can, use a vacuum sealer for freezing.
Mushroom Carnitas Burrito Bowls Ingredients:
For The Mushroom Carnitas
- 16 Ounces Portobello Mushrooms ( 8 small, or 4 large)
- 2 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Mexican Oregano
- 3 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, divided
- 4 Teaspoons Garlic, minced, divided
- 1½ Teaspoon Salt, divided
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
For The Burrito Bowls
- 2 Cups Roasted Corn (3 Ears)
- 1 Cup Tomatoes, diced
- ½ Cup Red Onion, diced
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Jalapenos, diced (about 1 pepper)
- 1 15 ounce Can Black Beans, strained and rinsed
- 4 Cups Shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Avocado
- ½ Cup Black Olives
- 1 Cup Vegan Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
How to Store and Serve Mushroom Carnitas Burrito Bowls
Mushroom Carnitas will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. For optimal freshness, store in an airtight plastic or a glass container with a lockable lid. If you prefer plastic, opt for our reusable one-compartment meal prep containers.
Can You Freeze Mushroom Carnitas?
Yes, you can freeze Mushroom Carnitas and enjoy them later! Note that some mushrooms grow fungus when frozen, so use them quickly. We have more tips on freezing cooked portobello mushrooms below. This vegan meal prep recipe yields 4 servings. So if you know you're going to freeze some, definitely take a look at "other tips" below.
How To Make Mushroom Carnitas
Mushroom Carnitas are super easy and quick! As mentioned, it will only take you 35 minutes and you won't need a bunch of dishes either.
First, make the marinade for the mushrooms and then marinate them in a ziplock bag. Let the mushrooms marinate for 10 minutes. While the mushrooms marinate, make your salsa. Then grill the corn with remaining marinade, flipping every three minutes. Start cooking the mushrooms the same way as the corn, basting with marinade on every flip. Cooking the corn and portobello mushrooms will take 12 minutes. When the corn is done, cut the kernels off the cob and add to the salsa. You're done cooking! When you're ready to serve, prepare a bed of lettuce and add avocado, salsa, black olives, and cheese. Top that with Mushroom Carnitas. Yum-my!
How to portion this meal prep recipe:
Divide avocado, salsa, black olives, cheese, and lettuce up into 4 meal prep containers. Then divide an equal amount of Mushroom Carnitas. Put your vegan meal prep recipe in the fridge or freezer and that's it!
More Mushroom meal prep recipes:
We LOVE mushrooms just like you do! So you know we have other mushroom vegan meal prep recipes for you to try. Let us know what you think of these:
- Vegan Mushroom Quinoa Breakfast Hash
- Sweet and Sour Mushrooms
- BBQ Pulled Mushrooms
- One Pan Mushroom Tetrazzini