Meaty mushroom carnitas burrito bowls made with hearty portobello mushrooms and all of your favorite veggie burrito bowl add-ins. Gluten-free. Vegan.
Mushroom Carnitas Burrito Bowls Ingredients:
For The Mushroom Carnitas
- 16 Ounces Portobello Mushrooms ( 8 small, or 4 large)
- 2 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Mexican Oregano
- 3 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, divided
- 4 Teaspoons Garlic, minced, divided
- 1½ Teaspoon Salt, divided
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
For The Burrito Bowls
- 2 Cups Roasted Corn (3 Ears)
- 1 Cup Tomatoes, diced
- ½ Cup Red Onion, diced
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Jalapenos, diced (about 1 pepper)
- 1 15 ounce Can Black Beans, strained and rinsed
- 4 Cups Shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Avocado
- ½ Cup Black Olives
- 1 Cup Vegan Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
Mushroom Carnitas Burrito Bowls
- 16 ounces portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 3 tbsp lemon juice divided
- 4 tsp garlic minced & divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt divided
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 cups roasted corn 3 large ears
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 tsp fresh jalapenos diced
- 15 ounces black beans (canned) rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 medium Avocado
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1 cup vegan pepper jack cheese or cheese of choice
- Warm up your outdoor grill or grill pan on medium flame.
- To a small bowl, add the orange juice, oregano, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 teaspoons garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Mix well. Remove the stems from the portobello mushrooms and score the inside of the cap ever so slightly, making sure not to cut too deep. Add the mushrooms to a zip-top bag, and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag, and ensure that all mushrooms are coated with the marinade. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms marinate, make your salsa by adding to a medium bowl, tomatoes, onion, black beans, jalapenos, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Set aside.
- Place the corn cobs and marinated mushrooms directly on the grill or grill pan. Pour the rest of the marinade in a small bowl, and use to baste the mushrooms while cooking. No need to butter or oil the corn. Using tongs, rotate/flip every 3 minutes, cover, and grill until the kernels are slightly charred & tender. Do the same with the mushrooms until they have nice char marks, and have released some of their water. Baste with every flip. This should take a total of 12 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and allow the cobs to cool.
- Cut the kernels off the corn cobs, and add to the salsa mixture, mixing well.
- Lay a bed of shredded lettuce in 4 MPOF containers, then divide equally the black bean salsa, avocado, black olives, and cheese among the containers. Top with mushroom carnitas. Store in your MPOF meal prep containers.