Fam, we’ve got a super hearty and delicious newcomer to add to your favorite meal prep recipes. Vegan lentil soup might sound boring, but this one is anything but. Rich, herbaceous, and touched with a bit of heat; your winter lunches have never looked (or smelled!) so good. And this easy recipe only gets better throughout the week as the spices are absorbed by the lentils. Let it sit for as long as you can stand to wait!
This meal prep recipe takes a bit of extra planning because the lentils requires a two hour soak before use. But literally all you have to do is put them in a water bath and let them do their thing. Soaking lentils before cooking might sound tedious, but it actually offers a ton of benefits. The outer layer of legumes such as lentils and beans contain sugars called oligosaccharides that can be a bit tough on our stomachs. Soaking these ingredients before use softens this outer layer, making it easier for our digestive system to break down and ultimately utilize these nutrient-rich ingredients. Soaking legumes before use also reduces the effects of phytic acid, the organic compound that is the culprit of the classic bean aftermath ? We promise, the extra step to soak is worth your time!
Though this lentil soup can be enjoyed all year round, we packed it with healthy anti-inflammatory spices to support you throughout the dark and chilly winter months. Ginger and turmeric are closely related (think of them as cousins), and though their benefits come from two different primary constituents, they both do wonders for supporting the immune system and promoting a healthy inflammatory response. Cinnamon is a wonderful ally for balancing healthy blood sugar levels, and its addition makes this spice trio both powerful and delicious.
This lentil soup is one of our favorite meal prep recipes, and is a perfect one to make extra of for freezing (store up to 3 months!). It is such a comforting meal to pull out on a chilly evening. Enjoy!
Crockpot Golden Lentil Soup Ingredients:
1 cup red lentils, soaked for 2 hours
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can coconut milk (full fat)
4 cups vegetable broth
6 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons lime juice
Pinch of cayenne, optional
Cilantro, to garnish, optional
Crockpot Golden Lentil Soup
- 1 cup dry red lentils soaked for 2 hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- cilantro to garnish, optional
- Soak lentils for 2 hours, and then drain well.
- In a frying pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent over medium high heat.
- Add salt and spices, and stir for about a minute. Add a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth, and continue to heat for another minute.
- To the crockpot, add lentils, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, onions and spices, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Slow cook on high for 2 ½ hours, or on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in fresh spinach, and season with lime juice, cayenne, and salt, to taste.
- This soup freezes well for up to 3 months in an airtight container.