Steak Fajita Meal Prep Recipe
Ready to spice up your meal prep recipes list? We've got just the savory treat! Our Steak Fajita Meal Prep recipe is the ultimate Tex-Mex dish for lunch or dinner.
The history of fajitas dates back to the cowboy days in West Texas. Mexican ranchers worked for the least desirable part of the steer to eat. The cut is known as "skirt steak" and was given to ranchers as part of their payment for the work they did. The ranchers took their payment and turned it into something more desirable - the steak fajita! The word "fajita" comes from the Spanish word "faja," which means "belt." That makes sense since the cut is skirt steak. Kind of cool, right?
Fast-forward to now and the steak fajita is a well-known, delicious Mexican restaurant treat and staple. Talk about making lemons out of lemonade!
Steak fajitas are grilled strips of skirt steak inside a tortilla with bell peppers. This meal prep recipe is truly authentic. They're easy to make and easier to devour!
Without further ado, let's get into this meal prep recipe. Vamanos!
How long will Steak Fajita Meal Prep last for?
Your cooked Steak Fajita Meal Prep will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. If you have a vacuum sealer, use that to store your steak fajitas in the fridge. If not, wrap the steak fajitas in freezer paper, then in a freezer bag. The point of this is to keep air away from the steak so it won't dry out.
Can Steak Fajita Meal Prep be frozen?
Of course! You can either wrap steak fajitas in heavy-duty aluminum foil, freezer paper, or freezer bags. Again, you can also vacuum seal steak strips. Also, we recommend always using a freezer bag, unless you use a container. There are some high-quality airtight freezer containers out there that will do the trick! Keep in mind that cooked Steak Fajita Meal Prep will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. So label and date the container or bag.
To freeze the cooked peppers, lay them out on a baking sheet with wax paper. Then place the baking sheet in the freezer for one hour. Remove the baking sheet and put the peppers in a freezer back. Be sure to leave at least a half-inch of bag space. Frozen cooked peppers last from 4 to 6 months.
Presta! Steak Fajita Meal Prep is frozen and enjoyed later.
Steak Fajita Meal Prep Ingredients:
- Siete brand Cassava Flour Tortillas (for keto, skip the tortillas and serve over lettuce)
- 2 lbs. Skirt Steak (large pieces of fat and tendons trimmed off)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (sliced into ½” strips)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (sliced into ½” strips)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (sliced into ½” strips)
- 1 large White Onion (sliced into ½: strips)
- Half Bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Limes (quartered)
- 1 Tbsp. Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Himalayan Pink Salt
- Optional: Sliced Avocado, Salsa, Sour Cream, Plain Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ C. Tamari
- ⅓ C. Avocado Oil
- ⅓ C. Lime Juice (~4 Limes)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic Cloves
- 5 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 5 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
How do you make Steak Fajita Meal Prep?
The first thing you're going to do is make your Steak Fajita Meal Prep marinade from the sweet and savory marinade ingredients. Use the marinade to coat your skirt steak. Let the steak settle in the marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Once your skirt steak is marinated, grill it. After grilling the steak, cook the vegetables in a cast-iron skillet on your grill. While the veggies are cooking, char the tortillas. Your Steak Fajita Meal Prep is done in 20 minutes. The only thing left is to enjoy them!
How to portion Steak Fajita Meal Prep?
Use a 3-compartment meal prep container to store Steak Fajita Meal prep. Put the tortillas, toppings, sauce, and sour cream in the largest compartment. Use a plastic cup for sour cream and sauce storage. Use the remaining two compartments for the steak fajitas and bell peppers.
More Steak meal prep recipes:
Steak is packed with protein and pretty low in fat depending on the cut. You can use it for stews, stir fry, fajitas, burritos, tacos, or by itself with sides. Steak is versatile and can be meal prepped in multiple ways and for every meal! Here are more delicious steak meal prep ideas:
Other tips for making Steak Meal Prep recipes:
- Salt your skirt steak before marinating it for more moisture and robust flavors.
- Leave your skirt steak out for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature before grilling. Doing this will ensure fast and thorough cooking.
- Searing your Steak Fajita Meal prep will bring flavors to the forefront.
- You can eliminate tortillas and make Steak Fajita Meal Prep lettuce wraps for Paleo diets.
- Replace sour cream with plain Greek yogurt for greater nutritional value.