These Indonesian Grain Bowls are super satisfying thanks to an abundance of complex carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. This vegan recipe is easy to throw together and is layers full of tempeh, green beans, bean sprouts, and cauliflower; all finished off with a sweet and savory sauce.
Indonesian Grain Bowl Ingredients:
For the Sauce:
- 1 Cup Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 Cup Palm Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Diced Fresh Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Diced Fresh Garlic
- 6 Thai Chiles, Finely Diced*
For The Bowls:
- 2 8 Ounce Packages Tempeh
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Pound Green Beans, ends trimmed
- 5 Cups Cauliflower Florets, or one medium head
- 12 ounce bag Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp finely diced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp finely diced fresh garlic
- 6 Thai Chiles finely diced
For The Bowls
- 16 ounces Tempeh gluten free, if needed
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 pound green beans end trimmed
- 5 cups cauliflower florets
- 12 ounces bean sprouts
- Heat a pot over medium heat, and add all the sauce ingredients, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved about 3 minutes.
- Cut the tempeh in halves, then quarters width-wise, and finally horizontally, so you end up with 8 good sized planks per package, 16 planks total.
- Heat a pan that has a lid over medium heat, and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. When the sugar has dissolved in the sauce, using tongs, dip 8 tempeh planks in the sauce, then add to the pan. Dipping them helps to season them. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes, until you have a nice deep color, but is not burnt. Flip, and cook for 2 minutes more. Reserve to a plate, and repeat with the next batch of tempeh planks.
- As you cook, keep an eye on your sauce, stirring occasionally until it reduces to a syrup consistency. This will take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Quickly rinse out the pan after cooking the tempeh, and return to medium heat. Add the green beans with ¼ cup water, and cover, steaming for about 4 minutes, stirring once halfway through until the beans are bright green and water no longer remains in the pan. Reserve to a plate, then repeat with the cauliflower. Do the same with the bean sprouts, but only cook for 2 minutes.
- Divide the green beans, cauliflower, and sprouts among 4 meal prep containers, and top with the tempeh planks. Drizzle with sauce, store, serve, and enjoy!
- Six Thai chiles in the sauce can be very spicy. If you don’t like very spicy foods, use less or none at all.
- The sauce is an adaptation of Kecap Manis, an Indonesian staple condiment.