Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls
To the inexperienced person, the idea of eating totally plant-based food might seem foreign, if not a bit unappetizing. If you fit into this category, you might be thinking, “Vegan food? You mean soy products that are meant to taste like other things? No thanks.” However, we want to tell you that a great deal of completely plant-based foods are actually incredibly delicious, and not made to taste like anything that they actually aren’t, like meat substitutes!
Now you might be wondering, “Alright, but where’s the beef? How do I get a filling meal from just plant-based foods?” Well, we’d like to dispel the myth that suggests plant-based foods aren’t filling or packed with protein! And in fact, that’s exactly the purpose day’s meal prep idea goes to show you—That you absolutely CAN be satisfied with vegan or plant-based meal options, meal prep fam! Today’s meal prep idea is for Quinoa and Chickpea taco bowls, and it will it satisfy your cravings for southwestern flavors and your hunger in equal measure, thanks to the taco spiced, nutrient-rich ingredients it contains!
Vegan Quinoa Chickpea Taco Bowls Ingredients:
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared to package directions
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
Pico de Gallo
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (or to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
How long will these Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls last for?
We recommend eating these bowls in 3-4 days, which is perfect as this recipe yields 4 portions altogether.
Can these Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls be frozen?
Yes they can! The frozen shelf life of chickpeas is about 6 months, so you can count on this meal prep idea lasting about that long as well, if you’re planning on freezing and reheating.
How do you make these Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls?
We love this delicious vegan meal because of how easy it is to throw together! Begin by preheating your oven to 400° F. While you wait, drain the chickpeas and add them to a bowl, then drizzle with olive oil and lime juice. Sprinkle on spices and combine these ingredients to coat evenly. For the next step, grab your favorite baking tray, and spread the chickpeas evenly across it. Bake for 20 minutes. Now it’s time to make that tasty pico de gallo! Simply combine tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice, jalapeno, and salt, adjusting to taste. Finish up by preparing your meal trays. Layer the quinoa, chickpeas, pico de gallo, and any other toppings as desired.
How to portion these Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls?
Because there are three primary ingredients in this meal (chickpeas, quinoa, pico de gallo) we recommend portioning them into 3-compartment meal prep containers to keep them separate! You can find them right here on Amazon, or otherwise you can do your own research on your needs by heading over to our Ultimate Guide to Meal Prep Containers article!
More quinoa meal prep ideas:
Did you know quinoa is one of the most nutrient-rich grains out there? That’s why we have a number of different quinoa meal prep ideas for you to choose from, like this Mexican Whole Grain Rice & Quinoa Casserole , or this Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato Meal Prep, which you can make 3 different ways!
Other tips for making these Quinoa Chickpea and Taco Bowls:
- Avocado makes for an excellent addition to this meal prep idea! We suggest adding lemon juice to your avocado slices, to ensure that they don’t brown over time.
Quinoa Chickpea Taco Bowls
- 1 cup dry quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Pico de Gallo
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp onion finely minced
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice to taste
- 1 Jalapeno minced or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, and then add to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice, and then sprinkle on the spices. Mix to combine and evenly coat the chickpeas.
- Spread chickpeas out on a baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Prepare pico de gallo by mixing together all ingredients. Adjust salt, lime and jalapenos to taste.
- Prepare meals by layering quinoa, chickpeas, and pico de gallo, and any other toppings as desired.