Cauliflower fried rice with legumes and chicken shish kabobs are a super easy and healthy meal prep that's ready in a flash. Gluten-free!
Ready in 20 minutes and easy to make, this Cauliflower Fried Rice with Legumes and Chicken Shish Kabobs is a healthy, protein-packed recipe that is also full of veggies!
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Legumes and Chicken Shish Kabobs Ingredients:
- 1 large cauliflower
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 1 canned or 1 full cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 large white onion
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 medium wooden skewers
- Seasonings: salt, smoked paprika, curry, onion powder, garlic powder
How to Make Cauliflower Rice with Legumes and Chicken Shish Kebabs
Ok, let's get one thing straight. Kebabs and kabobs are the same thing. Just semantics.
First, you process the cauliflower so it's in smaller, rice-sized pieces. Cook the lentils in boiling water until they're tender, which takes about 20 minutes or so. Then, in a skillet, you cook the onion because all good things start with a sauteed onion, right? Add in that riced cauliflower and cook it for five to ten minutes. Bring the chickpeas and lentils for extra-extra protein awesomeness, and set it aside after it all basically gets heated through together.
Season the chicken to taste; you can aim for about ½ teaspoon of the seasonings we indicate, or come up with your own favorite combination. Cook the chicken right over a hot grill if you so desire, but a grill pan indoors will work, too. Just keep an eye on it and make sure your oven fan is on if you choose the latter because those grill pans get very hot!
How to Store and Serve Cauliflower Fried Rice with Legumes and Chicken
These kabobs keep great in the fridge in airtight containers for up to 4 or 5 days. Reheat everything in a low oven, wrapped in foil, or if you're so motivated, you can eat this at room temperature, or just reheat the rice. You can also make this ahead of time and freeze it, or freeze any leftovers in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Cauliflower rice and legumes can handle the freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge or right in a hot skillet with a little bit of oil.
Substitutions and Alterations
Everyone loves chicken breasts, sure, but you can use thighs if you'd rather. They're a little moister and, some might argue, more flavorful.
Instead of chickpeas, you can use other beans such as white, red, or black beans. Alter the seasonings to suit your taste, too. If you use black beans, for example, you might want to lean more heavily on the cumin or use chili powder, too, on the chicken.
Feel free to stir in half a can of diced tomatoes with the rice and chickpeas for a little brightness.
And of course, you know how we love cauliflower rice around here, but you can substitute white or brown rice instead if desired. No biggie! It will still taste great, but will require a little more cooking.
Tips for Making Kebabs
If you are using wooden skewers, it's a great idea to soak them in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes so that when you put food through them and cook them over a flame, the wood doesn't burn. Alternatively, you can use metal skewers if you've got them.
MORE KEBABS and KABOBS!
- Pesto Beef Kabob Meal Prep
- 8 Kabob Combinations for Your Summer Meal Prep
- Kofta Kebab Meal Prep
- Grilled Halloumi & Summer Squash Kabob Meal Prep
- 1 large cauliflower
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1-2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 8 wooden skewers
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or to taste
- ½ teaspoon curry or to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
- Cut cauliflower into chunks and process in a food processor until it's broken into rice-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring about 2 cups water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion in the oil for about 5 to 6 minutes until it starts to become translucent. Add the cauliflower rice, and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cooked lentils and cook until everything is incorporated and heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cut chicken breast into cubes and transfer to a bowl. Add the herbs and spices and stir together until it's evenly distributed. Load the seasoned chicken cubes onto wooden skewers. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side in a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Distribute the fried cauliflower rice evenly among meal prep containers, along with 2 chicken shish kabobs each in the container, right over the rice. Refrigerate in the airtight contains until it's time to eat. Reheat everything in a hot skillet (or just reheat the rice; the chicken is great cold, we think!).