One Pan Paleo Beef Stroganoff is an easy dinner recipe for anyone. Tender chunks of grass-fed beef, hearty portobello mushrooms, and a creamy sauce are served over spaghetti squash to make this traditional dish paleo and gluten-free.
Beef Stroganoff holds a special place in my (Sarah’s) heart. As a kid, I remember my dad always called it Beef Strogan-AWFUL because it was basically a bunch of cheap ingredients tossed together to make a meal when he was younger. When you didn’t have money you made do with what you had. But, my grandmother made a killer recipe. Hearty, filling and full of flavor. But, also full of ingredients, I try to avoid (can we say canned cream of mushroom soup).
Because of that, it has been years since I have enjoyed this recipe. But, I was determined to make a version just as good as my grandmothers, but with paleo friendly ingredients. Oh, and that could be made in one dish because those are my favorite. Well, it took me a few tries since her recipe said, “A pinch of this, A dash of that.” But, I got it.
One Pan paleo Beef Stroganoff would (traditionally) be served over egg noodles, but since those are a ‘no-n’ in the paleo world, I opted for one of my favorite spaghetti alternatives, spaghetti squash. You could also go with zoodles or cauliflower rice. Any of those would be great!
You will also see that I have listed a few alternatives. This recipe, as written, is high in protein and moderate in fat. But, you can swap the dairy free yogurt (if not paleo) for Greek yogurt or even traditional sour cream. Also, if you like a thicker sauce you can increase the amount of flour used.
If you aren’t a fan of beef, go ahead and try this with chicken! I would love to know how it turns out. Also, tofu, for my vegan/vegetarian friends would work perfectly! Just be sure to switch the broth to vegetable.
One Pan Paleo Beef Stroganoff Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, grass-fed strip steak
1 medium onion
8 ounces portabello mushrooms
3/4 cup plain, unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
1/2 cup beef broth (paleo friendly)
1-2 tbs tapioca flour
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper, as desired
fresh parsley, as desired
2 lbs spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 pound strip steak cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion (150g) diced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup dairy free yogurt*
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1-2 tbs tapioca flour *Use 2 tbsp if you'd like a thicker sauce (macros based on 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic about 1 clove
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper as desired
- fresh parsley optional
- 2 pounds spaghetti squash cooked (32oz)
- Brown steak, onion and minced garlic in a pan until no pink remains in your steak.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 additional minutes.
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp. tapioca flour.
- Add beef broth, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in dairy free yogurt and parsley.
- Serve with spaghetti squash.