Portobello Mushrooms, Bacon and Feta Egg Cups
Are mushrooms magical? These Portobello Mushrooms surely seem to be. These tiny giants perform some enhancements to the body that baffles logic. Although available year-round, their peak is during the fall and winter months. And in case you didn’t know, September is National Mushroom month! This inexpensive delicacy can be prepared in innumerable ways. Our delectable Portobello Mushroom, Bacon and Feta Egg Cups can be served as a tasty breakfast or snack. So let’s dig in.
These oven-baked meaty egg cups are full of protein and a dose of Vitamin-D rich mushrooms to start your day off right!
Health Benefits Of Portobello Mushrooms
- Mushrooms are not only delicious but also packed with nutritional benefits which you will surely enjoy. Without further delay, here are just a few benefits, which this simple ingredient, can supply.
- A study conducted in 2009 concluded that regular consumption of cooked portobello mushrooms decreased breast cancer by 60%. Imagine that!
- It’s an excellent source of fiber to help in clearing up that digestive tract.
- Let’s not forget those minerals which these mushrooms are packed with, to include: iron, protein, vitamin B6, niacin, manganese, potassium and so much more.
- It’s also low in calories if you were in search of another low-calorie meal prep idea to enjoy.
- Lowers the risk of heart-related chronic diseases, digestive conditions, and high cholesterol. Say goodbye to constipation and hemorrhoids!
- Helps with keeping the skin, liver, hair, and eyes healthy. Amazing!
- Makes maintaining a healthy weight or losing weight possible! Hurray!
- Provide antioxidants which help in fighting free radicals which can lead to cancer
Nutrition Facts For Portobello Mushrooms
Tasty and nutritious - that’s a combination to appreciate. Here are a few nutritional facts which you will be thankful for.
- Calories: 22
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fiber: 1 g
Why You Should Eat More Portobello Mushrooms?
Thought by now you were already convinced that portobello mushrooms are worth the sample, especially with our recipe. And that’s just the thing, these mushrooms can blend into any meal due to its versatility! They add volume and flavor while ensuring you get more vegetables in your diet.
Mushrooms are great for maintaining strength as well as bone health. This is because they contain vitamin D which assists in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. What’s more, is, you can get 100% of the recommended vitamin D intake with half a cup serving!
How Else Do People Use These Mushrooms?
For this portobello mushroom recipe, baking was the preferred method to get those scrumptious cup-shaped treats. However, these mushrooms can also be cooked, grilled, seared, braised or roasted. They may also be eaten raw but cooking infuses flavor.
How To Add Flavor To Portobello Mushroom, Bacon and Feta Egg Cups?
Our portobello mushrooms were infused with the flavors of sweet and salty. For this effect, we used chopped bacon, feta cheese, and sweet berries (raspberries, strawberries or blueberries). To make this flavor-filled fiesta complete, we seasoned it up with some black pepper, dried basil and sea salt. Whip this mix with egg, scoop into your baking pan and in 30 - 35 minutes delicious cups are served. Yum!
What are you waiting for let’s get baking! Let us know what you think of this delicious twist on portobello mushrooms. Plus, we do have other tasty mushroom recipes which you may also enjoy. Come on, have a look!
Portobello Mushroom, Bacon, and Feta Egg Cups Ingredients:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup finely chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)