Essential oil swap! You can exchange one brand's blend for a similar one from another brand, and use them in similar ways. Learn more!
One of the greatest benefits of essential oils is that their uses and benefits tend to overlap. So even if you are a devoted user of, say, doTerra, you might want to try something different. Or maybe you run out of a particular type of oil and you need something else in a pinch. DoTerra is not a brand that's sold in stores (you order it online), whereas NOW oils are often found in grocery stores or health food stores and you can get them faster. In situations where your go-to is not readily on hand, or during times when you want to try something else for a different aroma, you can try substituting a NOW oil for some of doTerra's most popular oils and blends.
Although oils can share key benefits, there are still tradeoffs. No two oils are going to be exactly the same, for a host of reasons, starting with the sourcing of the plants and the way the oils are created.
And please keep in mind that essential oils vary in quality. There is research to suggest there are health benefits to essential oils, which we've linked to here in this article. But the FDA doesn't monitor or regulate the purity or quality of oils. So, it's important to talk to a healthcare provider before using them, and research the brands. And always dilute with a carrier oil (such as coconut, grapeseed, argan, almond, etc.) and do a patch test when trying a new oil, to determine reactivity.
10 Popular Essential Oils and Their Uses
- Peppermint: used to boost energy and aid digestion
- Lavender: used to relieve stress
- Sandalwood: used to calm nerves and help with focus
- Bergamot: used to reduce stress and improve skin conditions like eczema
- Rose: used to improve mood and reduce anxiety
- Chamomile: used to improve mood and relaxation
- Ylang-Ylang: used to help with blood pressure and nausea
- Tea Tree: used to fight infections and boost immunity
- Jasmine: used to help with depression, childbirth, and libido
- Lemon: used to aid digestion, mood, headaches, and more
With this in mind, we’ve listed some of the most popular Essential Oils and the closest swap if you're out of doTerra or looking for something different. You can usually find NOW essential oils at health food stores or some grocery stores.
Here are the Top 10 most popular Essential Oil Swaps
- Doterra On Guard > NOW Essential Oils Nature’s Shield
- Doterra Wild Orange > NOW Essential Oils Organic Orange
- Doterra Lemon > NOW Essential Oils Organic Lemon
- Doterra Tea Tree > NOW Essential Oils Organic Tea Tree
- Doterra Breathe > NOW Essential Oils Clear the Air
- Doterra DigestZen > DoTerra recommends that this blend be used by ingesting the oil, NOW does not recommend ingesting essential oils. We’d recommend instead using a balancing blend in this spot with our Peace & Harmony blend.
- Doterra Peppermint > NOW Essential Oils Organic Peppermint Oil
- Doterra Lavender > NOW Essential Oils Organic Lavender
- Doterra Serenity > NOW Essential Oils Peaceful Sleep
- Doterra Spearmint > NOW Essential Spearmint