Weight Loss Tips that Dr. Oz would approve of!
I’ve been wanting to put together a post of some of the things I have learned on my weight loss journey so far for my new followers and more me to remind myself how far I’ve come on my journey. Here it goes!
I started my weight loss journey in January 2017 with my highest weight at 210 lbs. I have lost 21.4 lbs so far. I still have about 45 lbs to lose, but I am not worried about any kind of time frame. I want to lose it slow and steady so it will be easier for me to keep it off at the end and not just gain it back.
I don’t follow any type of diet. I don’t track macros. I just try to keep my meals balanced: protein, carb, vegetable. Simple. I keep my portions smaller. I weigh everything, log everything I eat, and exercise.
Well besides exercise in general, I try to be as active as possible during the day. Getting my Fitbit step goal is sometimes a separate thing from exercise in my mind. I might achieve my step goal by doing some exercise, but if I’ve been on the couch all day and then go on a run at 11pm, there’s no way I will get 10,000 steps by midnight.
As far as exercise goes, I need to do intense exercise to lose weight. I need to run, or swim. Walking just doesn’t work for me. But YOU may be different! Walking may work for you, and most likely should be the first thing you try if you have a lot of weight to lose and are not used to exercise. But, if you’re walking and eating right and the weight is not melting off, you may be like me and need to kick it up a notch. Or you might have a thyroid issue.
Ok enough about exercise, here’s some tips and tricks about food.
Here are some easy things to do to change how you eat without going on a “diet”–
- Don’t drink your calories! The only beverage I like to have that has calories is coffee. Get used to water, or have stuff like La Croix or ICE instead.
- Eat less sugar! Sugar is addictive! I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee, because usually milk or cream already has sugar in it.
- Avoid extra calories! That mayo on your sandwich, the whipped cream on your frapp, the full-fat dressing on your salad, the breading on your chicken, and the oil you cook with are all unnecessary!!! Instead of mayo, use a Sabra hummus spread. Use low-fat dressings. Avoid whipped cream ALWAYS. Eat grilled or baked chicken instead. Use Pam or a bit of healthy oil like olive, coconut, or avocado oil when you cook.
- Weigh your food! Cooking pasta? Eating chicken or steak? Going to have some chips or popcorn? Weigh that shit! You will get accurate calorie amounts that way and will take all the guessing out of eating.
- Don’t bring unhealthy foods into your house! If it’s there, you will eat it. If you live with other people, kindly explain to them that your health is important to you, and if they care about you they will help by not buying crappy junk food.
- It’s ok to eat Fast Food! Sometimes you have no time and you gotta pick up something quick. But you just have to make better choices! At McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King? You can’t go wrong with a grilled chicken sandwich. Just ask for no mayo and you are good to go! Avoid the fries! If you’re at McDonalds you can get a parfait or some fruit on the side instead. At Wendy’s you can get a baked potato or some chili on the side instead. EASY!!!!!!!
- Don’t deprive yourself! If you’re legitimately hungry, eat. Not sure if you’re actually hungry or just bored instead? Drink some water and have a healthy snack like an apple or orange, or eat some protein like some string cheese or a HB egg. Listen to your body and fuel it right.
- Meal prep! If you work Mon-Fri, meal prepping is the perfect thing to help you eat a balanced yummy meal for lunch every day and help you avoid the bad stuff. Sunday night, cook up a batch of your favorite protein, veggies, and healthy carb, and then you’re done for the week! Don’t know what to make? @mealpreponfleek always posts great ideas! You can even do meal prep for breakfast so 2/3 meals for the day are already taken out of the equation.
9. Last thing and possibly the most important: It’s OK if you mess up a little bit. It’s not the end of the world. Someone’s throwing a bday party in your office? I’m sure there will be cake. Go ahead and have some, it’s not the end of the world. If you feel guilty about it, it will make you want to hide the fact that you ate it and will most likely ruin the rest of your day. Life is all about balance. One piece of cake is fine. A whole cake? Not so much. But, if you do eat a bit too much, just remember tomorrow is a new day. Don’t give up. Keep going. Don’t say, I’ll start over next week. Saying that is a never-ending cycle. Each new day is another opportunity to eat better and to exercise more.
If you are trying to lose weight, I hope this helps. Just remember, it’s a lifestyle change, not a diet.
And I don’t have all the answers. I’m not a nutritionist. I just know what works for me and my body.
Download a calorie counting app: Lose It
Get a snazzy fitness tracker: Fitbit
And see what they say about YOUR calorie intake and level of activity.
If you do all these things…. this COULD BE you! =P
Article submitted by One-Fourty-Five on Tumblr