Midway through a potentially long day, when you feel like you need a hearty but quick meal, what are your options? Luckily we have another meal prep ideas recipe which is sure to have you eating a healthy lunch which will have you energized and ready to face the remainder of the day. Here come sausage and mashed potatoes to the rescue with a perfect proportion of the nutrients needed to remain healthy. If you like mashed potatoes, here is a meal prep ideas recipe you can add to your list of the great ones!
How Long Will Sausage And Mashed Potatoes Last For?
At room temperature, consume within 2 hours. However, this delicious meal can be stored in meal prep airtight containers which maintain freshness while in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Can Sausage And Mashed Potatoes Be Frozen?
Indeed this appetizing meal can be stored in the freezer for 1 to 2 months.
How Do You Make this Whole30 Meal Prep Recipe?
First off, collect all your ingredients, utensils and measuring equipment. Once these are gathered, let’s get started!
Add olive oil and your sausages into a large skillet and heat until your sausages are cooked through. Then add a steamer basket into a large pot. Into the steamer basket, put your chopped potatoes and place cauliflower on the top. Steam these vegetables for about 25 minutes, until they are fork-tender. Once your sausages are browned, remove from the skillet and add to your onions.
Flavor things up with your choice of spices, for this recipe we’ve included salt and pepper. Place your thinly chopped onions into a skillet to caramelize over medium heat. Do so for about 20 minutes, until the onions are tender and sweet and the caramel color is evenly spread.
Add your remaining ingredients into your skillet with your onions, except the arrowroot and water. Heat your mixture over medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Mix the arrowroot into the water and then pour in to thicken the gravy to your desired thickness
Are your potatoes and cauliflower fork tender? Awesome. Then drain and add to a food processor bowl or mixer bowl to mash. Once mashed, season with ghee, salt, and pepper. Serve the sausages over the mashed potatoes and cauliflower with the onion gravy as your topping. Delicious!
How To Portion this Whole30 meal prep recipe?
This meal prep ideas recipe will provide you with four hearty servings of our delightful sausage and mashed potatoes. These durable and freezer and heat approved airtight storage containers are perfect for storage and easy reheating!
More Sausage Meal Prep Recipes.
You didn’t think this was our only sausage recipe, did you? If you did, we are happy to disappoint and provide you with a few more sausage options to keep things interesting!
- Italian Sausage Pasta Salad Meal Prep
- Keto Cajun Sausage Breakfast Scramble
- Sausage, Kale & Pomegranate Hash Meal Prep
- One Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Grape & Sausage Meal Prep
- Sheet Pan Marmalade Sausage Meal Prep
Other Tips For Making Sausage And Mashed Potatoes.
There is always room for improvement. Let’s look at a few ways we can make our sausage and mashed potatoes meal prep ideas recipe simply yummy.
- Dress your recipe with a caramelized onion gravy which will enhance your mash potatoes in ways you wouldn’t think possible
- Use whichever sausage you prefer best, be it chicken, pork or turkey bearing in mind that each type of sausage carries along with it, a unique flavor.
- A steamer basket and the placement of the cauliflower on top of the potatoes ensures that the cauliflower does not absorb too much water.
This meal prep ideas recipe is a quick and easy lunch recipe which can provide you with the energy you need to face the day ahead. Have you already begun preparing your sausage and mashed potatoes? Let us know what you think about our inspired meal prep ideas recipe!
Whole30 Sausage and Mashed Potato Meal Prep Ingredients:
- 4 pork, chicken or turkey sausages, Whole30 compliant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Caramelized Onion Gravy
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 onions, cut into long strips
- 1 teaspoon dijon, compliant
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup apple cider (optional - can sub extra chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot + 2 tablespoons water