Low Carb Lasagna Meal Prep
This lasagna is one of our favorite low carb meal prep recipes yet! We substituted fresh zucchini ribbons for traditional wheat pasta, which also makes this low carb meal prep naturally gluten-free. Between layers of delicious zucchini noodles (“zoodles”) we packed a rich, lean meat sauce and three types of cheese: ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella. Are you drooling? We’re drooling. This healthy lasagna recipe is great for those on the Keto diet, or anyone looking to add more nutrients and fewer refined carbs to their meals.
We love building low carb meal prep recipes around zucchini. It’s the perfect pasta substitute, is available all year round, is super healthy, and is pretty easy to prepare, no matter how you’re enjoying it. Zucchini is a great source of vision-supporting Vitamin A, immune-supporting Vitamin C, Potassium, and a nutrient that a lot of us need more of: fiber. We’re loving the zucchini noodles in this low carb lasagna meal prep, but check out a few of our other favorite zoodle meal prep recipes like Zoodles with Tomato Oregano Sauce and 10 Minute Pad Thai Zoodles.
It’s easy to forget that things in a can, can be good for us. But good quality tomatoes are actually very rich in nutrients! Piggybacking on the great amount of vision-supporting Vitamin A found in zucchini noodles, tomatoes contain the antioxidants lutein and lycopene, which support the eyes by protecting the macular system against damage from free radicals. This low carb meal prep is giving a whole new meaning to eating with your eyes ? Tangy tomatoes are the perfect complement to the richness of the three added types of cheese, savory garlic and onion, and protein-rich lean beef.
This Low Carb Lasagna Meal Prep is delicious and satisfying, and pretty light on calories as lasagna goes (only 474 per serving)! It’s also totally Insta-worthy. #cheesepull
Low Carb Lasagna Meal Prep Ingredients:
2-3 medium zucchini
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ – 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt* (depending on if tomato puree has added salt)
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used no salt added)
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup parsley, chopped
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Subscribe to Meal Prep on Fleek
Low Carb Lasagna Meal Prep
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 1 pound 85% ground beef can sub with anything leaner to lower calories or even ground turkey
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbs italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 1 cup ricotta can sub reduced fat to lower calories
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parmesan grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Use a mandoline to thinly slice zucchini into long “ribbons,” similar to the shape of a lasagna noodle.
- Lay zucchini ribbons out in a single layer, and sprinkle with sea salt. Let sit for 10-15 minutes while preparing the meat sauce. Prior to using, blog the excess moisture drawn out of zucchini with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, minced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add ground beef, and season with Italian seasoning, sea salt, cumin and paprika. Be sure to check to see whether your crushed tomatoes have added salt prior to adding sea salt to this recipe.
- Brown beef, then add crushed tomatoes. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes on medium low. Taste, and adjust seasonings. The zucchini will release more moisture during baking, so it’s good to simmer sauce until thick to reduce excess water.
- Prepare ricotta mixture by adding ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, and parsley to a bowl. Mix well.
- In an 11x7 baking dish, add ½ cup of sauce. Add 1 layer of zucchini ribbons, and top with ⅓ of the remaining sauce.
- Add ½ of the ricotta mixture, followed by ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat another layer with zucchini noodles, meat sauce, ricotta mixture and cheese.
- Add a 3rd layer of zucchini noodles, and top with the remaining meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes covered.
- Remove foil from baking dish, and bake for another 20-25 minutes uncovered. This allows the cheese to become bubbly, and also helps reduce the excess moisture from the zucchini.
- Allow to cool before slicing and adding to meal prep boxes.