Vegan BBQ Jackfruit & Avocado Slaw Meal Prep
If you’re thinking to yourself, What’s a jackfruit, anyway? It’s a great question, especially because it’s not very popular in western countries. Thriving mostly in India and southeast Asia, the jackfruit is considered the largest tree-growing fruit in the world— they can grow up to 3 feet in length and 100lbs each! The jackfruit also has a bumpy flesh on the outside, and when eaten fully ripe, has the flavor of mango, banana, or pineapple. Take a look…
The jackfruit is very versatile. In spite of its fruity, sweet flavor when raw, it actually soaks up any flavors it’s cooked with, and has a fabulous stringy texture! And that, friends, is why this BBQ jackfruit meal prep recipe makes for an on-point vegan summer food—it tastes just like BBQ pulled pork!
BBQ and cole slaw. We can’t think of a more iconic duo ? That’s why we’ve included a totally fresh take on slaw in BBQ jackfruit meal prep recipe! The earthy flavors of avocado, raw cashews, and optional fresh cilantro and lime come together.
Easy BBQ jackfruit slaw paired with a creamy avocado slaw for the perfect vegan and gluten free summer meal!
If you are a vegan or vegetarian, don’t worry! MPOF has you covered with this BBQ jackfruit meal prep recipe, so you don’t have to go hungry this summer while having family fun in the sun! Not to mention, you can have this meal anywhere, and at any time, and you won’t even need a barbecue grill to enjoy it!
BBQ Jackfruit & Avocado Slaw Meal Prep Ingredients:
1 tsp avocado oil
2 20-ounce cans jackfruit in water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup filtered water
1 cup BBQ sauce of choice (ensure vegan/gluten free brand)
Himalayan sea salt
4 cups shredded cabbage (purple and green or a mix)
2 cups shredded carrots
1 ripe avocado
½ cup almond milk yogurt
1 lemon, squeezed
Optional for serving: raw cashews, cilantro, fresh lime
BBQ Jackfruit & Avocado Slaw Meal Prep
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 14 ounces canned or fresh jackfruit
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of choice ensure vegan/gluten free brand, if needed
- Sea Salt
- black pepper
- 4 cups cabbage shredded (green or purple)
- 2 cups Carrots shredded
- 1 large Avocado
- 1/2 cup almond milk yogurt we use Kite Hill Unsweetened
- 1 Lemon juiced
For Serving, optional*
- raw cashews
- fresh lime juice
- Drain and rinse jackfruit and shred with a fork.
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and cook for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to get some color.
- Next, add the jackfruit, smoked paprika, garlic powder, BBQ sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Stir and cover, then turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper.
- To make the avocado slaw, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and smash until well combined. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- To assemble, divide BBQ jackfruit and avocado slaw between meal prep containers. Top with optional cashew, cilantro, and a lime wedge. Keeps in the fridge for 3-5 days.