Not all sweet potato casseroles are created equal. This delicious combination is full of flavor, simple to make and won’t leave with a taste of regret later. I wanted to try adding this dish to my meal prep this week but this casserole is great for a friendsgiving or family dinner. The hint of maple syrup compliments the walnut topping perfectly and the shredded coconut adds a whole new element to this sweet combination.
Get creative with this recipe and swap out walnuts for pecans or add some dried fruit to the mix. I know I could barely keep myself from eating this right away and I’m sure you’ll be anxiously awaiting your next bite of this yummy goodness.
- 4 ea sweet potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Bring hot water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 15-25 minutes or until tender
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain boiling sweet potatoes & mash them up in the same pot. Keep the burner on and add 2 tablespoon maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt (add water if necessary). Mash until smooth.
- In separate small pan, melt the 2 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon grass-feed butter. In a small bowl, toss it with the walnuts, coconut flakes and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes in a pan.