Meal Prep Ideas – Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep
At MPOF, we absolutely love a tasty Tex-Mex treat, and if you’re reading this now, we’re guessing you do too! Overflowing with savory flavors, it’s really hard not to enjoy a Mexican-inspired southwestern cuisine. However, traditional Tex Mex can be loaded with unhealthy fats, carbs, and an absurd amount of sodium, usually to the point of being noncompliant with any diet plan. But don’t worry! We have a meal prep idea for you today that’s sizzling hot. A simple, yet very healthy chicken fajita veggie recipe!
One thing that makes this south-of-the-border meal prep idea so fantastic is that it’s 100% compliant with the Whole30, gluten-free, paleo, and low-carb lifestyles. You can enjoy it guilt-free and totally assured that you’re nourishing your body in a way that works toward your own personal health goals! For the most benefits, we strongly recommend using all completely organic ingredients—Not only do they just taste better in general but they also prevent you from eating GMOs, pesticides, or any other potentially harmful byproducts from the farming and production processes. We love to shop at Whole Foods because they have a massive selection of organic products to choose from, all in one place. The chicken breast strips used in this meal prep idea only cost us about $3.00!
Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep is a super easy and delicious take on classic fajitas. It’s bursting with flavor while still being healthy, too — it’s the best of both worlds!
How long will this Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep last for?
Because this meal prep idea contains a high volume of freshly cooked vegetables, we recommend not keeping it in your fridge for longer than 3-4 days.
Can this Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep be frozen?
Yes, it can, and any portions you freeze will last 2-3 months for you to thaw and eat whenever you don’t have enough time to cook, or you just want to relax after a long day of work or school!
How do you make this Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep?
We love this meal prep idea because it’s just so quick and easy to make! Start by heating a large skillet on high heat, then add 2tbsp. of olive or avocado oil. Sauté onion and peppers~5-7 minutes, heat another skillet on medium-high heat, and add the other 2tbsp of oil. Add cauliflower rice, being sure to stir every couple of minutes for 10 minutes. Once the cauliflower rice has cooked, add fajita seasoning and chicken to the mixture, then sauté until chicken has warmed through and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat and serve fajita veggies with cauliflower rice. Top with salsa verde, Greek yogurt, scallions, and optional avocado, and finally, dress with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro.
How to portion this Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep?
Because there are sides incorporated into this dish, we recommend using three-compartment meal prep containers to store it.
More Mexican-inspired meal prep ideas:
If you loved this chicken fajita meal prep idea, check out this Mexican Whole Grain Rice & Quinoa Casserole Meal Prep, or our Cheesy Mexican Cauliflower Fritter as possible additions to your meal prep rotation!
Other tips for making this Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep:
- If you are lactose intolerant, we recommend replacing the Greek yogurt with any vegan alternative yogurt that you prefer
Chicken Fajita Veggie Meal Prep Ingredients:
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, deseeded and sliced 1/4” thick
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced 1/2” thick
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, deseeded and sliced 1/4” thick
- 1/2 Medium Cauliflower, riced
- 2 Limes, quartered into wedges
- 1/2 C. Cilantro
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, deseeded and sliced 1/4” thick
- 1/2 Bunch (~1/4 C.) Scallions, sliced
- 1 Fajita Seasoning Packet, mixed with 1/4 C. Warm Water (or as packet’s directions specify)
- 1/2 C. Salsa Verde
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 C. Greek Yogurt, plain and unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan Salt (or Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- *Optional: 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced
- 1/2 large head cauliflower riced
- 2 limes quartered
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup Scallions sliced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt plain and unsweetened
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 medium Avocado
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over high heat.
- Add reserved 2 Tbsp. of oil then add onion and peppers sauté ~5-7 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, heat a separate skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat and add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil. Then, add cauliflower rice — stirring every couple of minutes for ~10 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add fajita seasoning and water mixture and chicken strips — sauté until chicken is warmed through and most of the liquid has reduced (~2-3 minutes) and then remove from heat.
- Serve fajita veggies with cauliflower rice. Top with salsa verde, Greek yogurt, scallions, and optional avocado, and finally, dress with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro.
- Serve, store, and enjoy!